1. Not all combinations of VirtualCenter and ESX Server versions are supported and not all of these highlighted features are available unless you are using VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 4 with ESX Server 3.5 Update 4. See the ESX Server, VirtualCenter, and VMware Infrastructure Client Compatibility Matrixes for more information on compatibility.
2. This version of ESX Server requires a VMware Tools upgrade.
The following information provides highlights of some of the enhancements available in this release of VMware ESX Server:
Expanded Support for Enhanced vmxnet Adapter — This version of ESX Server includes an updated version of the VMXNET driver (VMXNET enhanced) for the following guest operating systems:
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit)
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (64-bit)
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
* Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
The new VMXNET version improves virtual machine networking performance and requires VMware tools upgrade.
Enablement of Intel Xeon Processor 5500 Series — Support for the Xeon processor 5500 series has been added. Support includes Enhanced VMotion capabilities. For additional information on previous processor families supported by Enhanced VMotion, see Enhanced VMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support (KB 1003212).
QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter Driver Update — The driver and firmware for the QLogic fibre channel adapters have been updated to version 7.08-vm66 and 4.04.06 respectively. This release provides interoperability fixes for QLogic Management Tools for FC Adapters and enhanced NPIV support.
Emulex Fibre Channel Adapter Driver Update — The driver for Emulex Fibre Channel Adapters has been upgraded to version 220.127.116.11. This release provides support for the HBAnyware 4.0 Emulex management suite.
LSI megaraid_sas and mptscsi Storage Controller Driver Update — The drivers for LSI megaraid_sas and mptscsi storage controllers have been updated to version 3.19vmw and 18.104.22.168 vmw respectively. The upgrade improves performance and enhance event handling capabilities for these two drivers.
Newly Supported Guest Operating Systems — Support for the following guest operating systems has been added specifically for this release:
For more complete information about supported guests included in this release, see the Guest Operating System Installation Guide: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf.
* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
* SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
* Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition and Server Edition (32-bit and 64-bit).
* Windows Preinstallation Environment 2.0 (32-bit and 64-bit).
Furthermore, pre-built kernel modules (PBMs) were added in this release for the following guests:
* Ubuntu 8.10
* Ubuntu 8.04.2
Newly Supported Management Agents — Refer to VMware ESX Server Supported Hardware Lifecycle Management Agents for the most up-to-date information on supported management agents.
Newly Supported I/O Devices — in-box support for the following on-board processors, IO devices, and storage subsystems:
SAS Controllers and SATA Controllers:
The following are newly supported SATA Controllers.
* PMC 8011 (for SAS and SATA drives)
* Intel ICH9
* Intel ICH10
* CERC 6/I SATA/SAS Integrated RAID Controller (for SAS and SATA drivers)
* HP Smart Array P700m Controller
1. Some limitations apply in terms of support for SATA controllers. For more information, see SATA Controller Support in ESX 3.5 (KB 1008673).
2. Storing VMFS datastores on native SATA drives is not supported.
Network Cards: The following are newly supported network interface cards:
* HP NC375i Integrated Quad Port Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter
* HP NC362i Integrated Dual port Gigabit Server Adapter
* Intel 82598EB 10 Gigabit AT Network Connection
* HP NC360m Dual 1 Gigabit/NC364m Quad 1 Gigabit
* Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
* Intel 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
* Intel 10 Gigabit XF SR Dual Port Server Adapter
* Intel 10 Gigabit XF SR Server Adapter
* Intel 10 Gigabit XF LR Server Adapter
* Intel 10 Gigabit CX4 Dual Port Server Adapter
* Intel 10 Gigabit AF DA Dual Port Server Adapter
* Intel 10 Gigabit AT Server Adapter
* Intel 82598EB 10 Gigabit AT CX4 Network Connection
* NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet
* NetXtreme BCM5755 Gigabit Ethernet
* NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet
* NetXtreme BCM5756 Gigabit Ethernet
Expanded Support: The E1000 Intel network interface card (NIC) is now available for NetWare 5 and NetWare 6 guest operating systems.
Onboard Management Processors:
* IBM system management processor (iBMC)
* SUN StorageTek 2530 SAS Array
* Sun Storage 6580 Array
* Sun Storage 6780 Array