Caution: Articles written for technical not grammatical accuracy, If poor grammar offends you proceed with caution ;-)
vCAC 5.2 was officially released yesterday and made available publicly on the VMware website located here. Although it’s available on customers that have licenses for the product can access the download. Currently there is no public trial available.
New features in vCAC 5.2
- Enhanced vCloud Director Integration – Support for Pay as you go, Reservations of partial oVDC’s, Individual management of VM’s within a vApp, and management of existing vApps.
- Support for KVM – KVM support is adopted through the use of RedHat Enterprise Virtualization Manager 3.1 and supports provisioning of machines and management capabilities for the provisioned managed VM’s.
- vCloud Networking and Security (vCNS) – Supports provisioning of machines into existing VXLAN’s, Security Groups, as well as load balancers.
- Customizable Reclamation Workflows – This is an enhancement to vCAC’s reclamation workflows which were previously very static and not customizable. In this release you now have the ability to customize a new lease length and the wait time before enforcing the new lease period.
- SRM Compatibility – Notice the word compatibility. vCAC will not discover both the primary and recovery VM and allow management of only the primary. So no real functional support for SRM, but it is at least now compatible and able to function in SRM environment.
- Windows 2012 Managed Guest OS – vCAC 5.2 now offers support for Windows 2012 as a guest operating system.
- Lot’s of bug fixes – If you read the release notes located here, you will see there are about 5 pages of resolved issues.
There are lots of other minor changes in the release. Some changes include:
- Menu Item restructures
- Better support for masking password when using custom properties
- New Windows Guest agent to support Windows 2012, the new agent closely resembles the Linux gugent agent.
- Other minor UI tweaks
Stay tuned for more tutorials and info on vCAC 5.2 in the up coming weeks.